Friday, October 10, 2014

"No running for at least two weeks"

I thought that would be the worst words that I've ever heard from a doctors mouth.  Surprisingly those  were the best words I have ever heard a doctor say on Tuesday afternoon.  A strange pain started on the outside of my right foot as I was doing my first Warrior Dash (that deserves it's own post) with a good friend of mine.  It didn't last long so I didn't think much of it.  When it came back on Sunday afternoon as I did part of the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk I didn't think much of it.  I really didn't give it a second thought until it came back with a vengeance on Sunday night.  It hurt to put pressure on it and I had no idea what I did.

Two weeks earlier I had started training solely for my half marathon in January.  I had reached my first distance goal and using the 80/20 rule was helping me with my endurance and become a better runner.  I remember feeling so excited that I had reached that distance goal a week early because I was ahead of schedule.  I knew I wasn't over training.  I've done it before so at this point I know the signs.  I was sleeping like a rock- when I can't sleep chances are I'm over training.  I knew I was staying super safe based on all of the research I had done regarding proper training.  All I knew was that something wasn't right and I wanted to get back to my normal.  

After an extensive google search (I mean we all do it whenever we feel something isn't right) I began to panic that I had fractured my foot.  It hurt in one particular spot and everything I read only freaked me out even more.  I knew I had to get it x-rayed and I was completely terrified at what they were going to say.  Luckily the Sports Medicine doctor at the student health center saw me right away and proceeded to ask me for my history and training schedule prior to the accident.  As I explained my training techniques and schedule with the doctor I felt like an athlete for the first time.  It was then that the doctor and her student lifted an enormous weight of dread that had me thinking I had a fracture and told me that all I did was pull a muscle.  Apparently as I slid through a mud pit (that's part of the warrior dash and strangely rejuvenating) the extra weight of the mud coupled with the old shoes I wore caused my foot to have to work harder than it's used to and I strained it.  Hearing the doctor tell me that I couldn't run for about two weeks but I could still spin and lift lifted that weight of dread and replaced it with relief.  Knowing that while this derails my training by a few weeks I know that I'll still get there and I'm eager to come back stronger than ever!

Adding in more spinning and lifting heavier for the past few days has been an adjustment but it's also been incredibly rewarding.  I've gotten the chance to teach an extra class or two so in a way this "challenge" turned into a blessing since I get to work on my teaching skills.  

I am so grateful that I've learned to listen to what my body needs throughout this process.  I've been able to learn how to eat more intuitively to fuel my body for my training and what I want it to be able to do.  I feel stronger than ever and more capable than ever to conquer any obstacle.  Adjusting my training week by week really helps keep me grounded in remembering my goals and where I want to be. 

Here's to another whirlwind of a week coming up full of new challenges and a trip home!  

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment