Friday, October 24, 2014

Wait... It's almost November!?

It still amazes me how quickly life seems to pass by.  The two weeks of no running thankfully flew by and I've been able to pick up right where I left off.  As always school and life has been crazy but I'm officially over the zombie period that was mid terms and on to the next challenge.  Two weeks of not running when that's all I wanted to do was a challenge but giving my foot a break has definitely paid off.  It feels so good to be back to somewhat normal.  And for this grad student normal happened to be satisfying my inner Monica by thoroughly cleaning my apartment (Like move the couch away from the wall deep clean that just makes me feel human- I'm a tad OCD so my apartment is always clean and orderly but when I know there's no dust I get ridiculously excited).

I thought that stopping for two weeks was going to be miserable.  I mean for one I knew it meant I couldn't eat as much peanut butter as I wanted ;).  More importantly, I felt defeated that I was unable to do something that I was committed to because of an injury.  When it comes to my training I like my timelines with reasonable goals along the way.  I didn't know how I'd pick it back up again whenever I had just entered such a healthy relationship with running.  Relationship is a tricky word when it comes to running but the challenge of increasing my distances makes it a complicated relationship.  I always reach that point where I say "hey this actually feels good!" And later on there's the "I've gone far enough right?" The more I run the more I realize how it truly is a mental game.  The hardest part is convincing your mind that you can do it.  I love when my body takes over and I'm able to just let go and enjoy my runs in a way I've never been able to do.  My workouts have always been my escape from everything else going on in my life but my runs have become such a sweet escape.  I'm able to tune out all the commotion and just appreciate everything that is around me.  It's not about how quickly I run the mile anymore but how much I enjoy the process.  I cannot wait for my long run on Sunday.  Knowing I can devote all of my training to that run is a freeing feeling I wouldn't trade for the world.  My distance goal this week might be a stretch, but it's a challenge I can't wait to try!

I'm constantly amazed at all of the wonderful things that happen when I'm not looking.  Through this injury I was able to teach more spin classes and devote more time to the unbelievably crazy last 3 weeks of school.  The "resting" period also happened to be during a few weeks of yucky weather.  My inner running diva much prefers to run in the perfectness that is 65 degrees and breezy with sunshine.

I feel so lucky to live the crazy beautiful life I live.  I can't wait to see what else 2014 brings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment