Thursday, January 8, 2015

10 days out!

Back in September when I was at my Spinning Instructor training (still one of the greatest days ever), one of the friends I made was an avid runner.  Even back then, I find myself asking anyone who has more running experience than I do for hints and tricks to help improve.  With anything involving fitness I find myself wanting to be a sponge and soak up every bit of advice to help me constantly make changes and improve.  Her biggest piece of advice (besides Roctane flavors that weren't worth my time) was to run 3 miles and then spin as part of my training.  Tonight I finally had the opportunity to take her advice and man does it feel good! Tonight was also my first night back teaching and my class probably wishes I hadn't missed them so much.  Throughout the major sweat session (my favorite kind- only way to stay warm when the temperature is in the 20s) I couldn't stop smiling because my heart was literally so happy to be doing what I was doing.

With my race being 10 days away I am a mix of emotions! I'm terribly nervous and anxious and excited all at the same time.  I can't believe the day that I've been planning for since August is actually right around the corner.  This entire training process started out smooth and beautiful before life decided to throw curveballs left and right.  At the beginning my distance goals were easy and I could cruise them through.  Through all the ups and downs I've always had this day in mind and I'm pretty sure I don't know how I'm going to sleep the night before the race!  Knowing that I can tackle this even if I haven't had as many long runs as I'd like helps me remember to just enjoy the entire event.  Work hard, play hard has always been my motto and I couldn't imagine a better way to live!

I feel so incredibly thankful and blessed every day to live a life where I have the opportunities not only to follow my dreams academically, but I've changed my health and reached the point where I am now.  A year ago I struggled to run 3 miles.  While I'm not perfect and I know I still have a long way to go, I am so incredibly excited to have the opportunity to run 13.1 miles and know that it's right within my reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment