Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Overcoming obstacles everyday!

The changes over the last year have really amazed me.



Today I went to a place called Jump Jam with a few of my classmates and friends.  It is literally a giant auditorium full of trampolines and foam pits with obstacle courses including monkey bars and ropes.  I did the monkey bars.  I did a front flip where I landed on my feet.  While it wasn't perfect, it was perfect for me and that's all that matters.  The girl who I was a year ago could not have done that.   I wouldn't have been strong enough.  While I would have tried my body was not able because I was overweight.  I never even realized how bad it was until I look back on it now.  The movements would have been dangerous to perform and I could have gotten seriously injured.

Throughout the past year I've learned so much from each and every program about how to move my body athletically while feeding it real food.  I've never felt more alive than I do right now.  I've never felt so physically able to do things that I've never done before.  I've challenged myself to do things that I didn't really think were possible.  I never thought I'd be able to do a front flip on a trampoline.  I never thought I'd be one of the girls who my friends look to for health and fitness advice.  Now I'm so glad that they do because I love talking about it.  I want someone to look at me one day and say, "Because of you I didn't give up."  I want my body to reflect how incredible I feel inside and everyday where I'm consistent with my meal plan and workouts I know I'm one step closer to that goal.

While I feel the difference there are many times when I look in the mirror and I don't see it.  Sometimes I feel like I'm still the same girl on the outside as I was a year ago who couldn't do half of the things I can do now.  At first when we got to Jump Jam my initial insecurities crept up and I worried about my belly jiggling around or that my arms couldn't carry me across the monkey bars.  I found myself back in my old self and I didn't know what to do.  One of my closest friends knocked me right out of that by saying, "Emily how are you not climbing on the rock wall by now?"  Hearing her say that reminded me of how far I've come and of course I'm dying to start climbing that rock wall! Positive self talking to myself helps keep me grounded and remember that I am not the same girl I was a year ago.   In my classmates eyes, I am strong enough and while my body is not be where I want it, it is exactly where it needs to be.  I am proud of how far I've come and I can't wait to see where else this journey can take me! I know I sometimes get discouraged when the scale doesn't move or I feel extra bloated when I look in the mirror.  I know I don't even notice most of the changes because I see myself everyday.  Hearing encouraging words from those around me help more than they know.  Here's to everyone who has helped me when my positive voice

My favorite part of this entire journey is that it has become a lifestyle change.  It's not some crazy diet that only lasts a few days or months to get the results you want.  It's a daily commitment to fuel and move your body with the added perk of feeling incredible! I love the things I'm able to do now and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Here's my challenge to you to do something that scares you and show me your strength!

Have a great rest of your week!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment