Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Unplug

There's something magical about starting off my day with Insanity:Max 30.  Literally jumping out of bed (after snoozing a few times), drinking some C4 (yeah I have a weird reaction to Creatine where I may have trouble sleeping but this stuff tastes like a watermelon jolly rancher- AKA perfection) and then maxing out with Shaun T.  By getting my daily dose of happiness in earlier I felt so much calmer throughout the day.  It definitely helps me feel more in control physically and mentally.  I have so much more stamina not to eat 2 (lezbehonest heaping) spoonfuls of peanut butter because I did not get up extra early to screw around.  All day I feel like I have had extra time because I focused better than I normally do.  I'm definitely crediting this same energy to my incredible afternoon run.

The weather is supposed to be freezing towards the end of the week (as in the low is 12 degrees- I love 30s-40s but teens is where I draw the line). I knew if I didn't run early I'd miss my chance this week. On my way to my run I checked my garmin battery and thought "I better charge that after this quick little run."  Little did I know that when I went to press start on my Garmin it had other plans and promptly died.    I said "screw it" and started running.  It wasn't just the "yeah I'm running and I somewhat hate myself for doing this to my body".  It was the "oh-my-gosh-this-feels-incredible-and-I-could-run-forever run."  It was the groove I desperately couldn't find during my half.  It was the controlled breathing and focus and determination to push myself just a little bit further.  It was the reason that girl who absolutely hated running in gym class started running because she loves how free it makes her feel.  Free from worry and care because the only thing that matters is what's between me and that road.  It's the simple joy I try to create for my spinners in every class.

After the run, I drove the route after and realized that I ran 2.5 miles in a little over 20 minutes.   I underestimated what I was capable when I constantly feel the need to check.  By tuning out and finding my groove I was able to focus better than I have in awhile.  I feel as though I unplugged from my expectations.  The whole unplugging thing is definitely something that I feel I've been doing in multiple areas of my life.  Only unplugging allowed me to truly dial into the right mindset to get the job done.

Surprise yourself! Don't ever underestimate yourself.  Remember you are capable of so much more than you give yourself credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment